What was priority in 2010 is a past accomplishment in 2013.
For instance, I’ve been putting off too long the need for an efficient, workable, online, intuitive bookkeeping solution. Now that next year’s tax season is looming, I’m especially aware of my 2012 shortcomings in this area. I WILL start out the new year with a system in place.
In that spirit, I’m throwing out some ideas for you in this article.
Some might stick against the wall, and others are gonna slide right down, and end up on the floor. It’s not exhaustive, nor is it all-encompassing, but it might rattle something in your brain that you forgot needed to be on the front burner.
I’ve mentioned before I’m a prodigious list-maker. Some of the stuff in the list below may be behind you… or too far out in front to handle in 2013. It’s neither a newbie nor an advanced list. It’s just a brainstorming session:
- Time to tweak your demo?
- Do you need to develop OTHER niche demos?
- Does the website need an upgrade?
- When’s the last time you offered to help someone?
- How’s your computer doing? Hard Drive making funny sounds?
- When’s the last time you backed-up your files?
- Are you keeping a database of clients/colleagues/prospects?
- What are you using for Customer Relationship Management (CRM)?
- When’s the last time you dusted your equipment? ;-}
- Is this the year you get your dream mic?
- Which VO events/webinars/meet-ups/mixers are you going to attend in 2013?
- What coach or coaching will you pursue?
- Will you tune into EWABS every Sunday?
- Will you seek a mentor this year?
- Is your DAW software doing what you need?
- How are you handling your finances?
- Are you setting aside a portion of your proceeds for taxes each paycheck?
- What is your follow-up procedure for keeping regular clients happy?
- Are YOU happy?
- Do you take enough time for your family?
- Would an intern help your workflow?
- Time to spruce up your Social Media presence?
- When’s the last time you said ‘Thank You’?
- What is your strategy for getting new clients?
- Will you stay with online subscription sites? What is the ROI there?
- Do you need an agent/more agents?
- Could WoVO help you out?
- Can you justify the expense of Source-Connect or ISDN?
- Finally time to get those acting/improv classes?
- Do you need a tablet?
- What about a cloud computing solution for your files?
- Will a regular newsletter to your clients come in 2013?
- Are your rates due for a step-up?
- What task will you delegate to free up time?
- Are you in a MasterMind or Stand-up group?
- Is a whisper-room in your budget this year?
- Did you visit VoiceOverXtra today?
- What advantage would going/droppping union bring you?
- When’s the last time you called your agent to say thanks?
- Will you commit to reading Voice-Acting in Vegas every day? (just checking)
- Which annoying habit will you conquer in your delivery?
- Did you go paperless yet?
- Can you do an audiobook?
- Do you have a marketing plan that’s measurably working?
- What part of your business should you jettison/stop regardless of how dear it is?
- Which colleague have you asked for a frank opinion on your sound?
- When’s the last time your revamped your LinkedIn/FaceBook/Twitter profile?
- How can you better manage your time?
- Is your financial bookkeeping up-to-snuff?
- Will you be at FaffCon FINALLY/again?
- Are you looking for VO jobs, or a VO career?
What am I missing? What is YOUR priority for your VO business this year? Name one thing that just can’t be ignored one more year, and HAS to be done in 2013.