The launch of Audible’s site for narrators in May sent ripples through the audiobook business. The blog I wrote about ACX was one of my most-visited articles.
Check back in a few days, I’m working on some Q & A with one of the principal officers you’ll want to read. In the meantime, the folks at ACX are offering some meaningful incentives you may want to consider as you decide on auditioning. (note, offer assumes you’re “approved”…See below the release they sent me).
The offer below is a creative tool. Overall, the compensation model ACX has devised is not perfect, but shows they did plenty of research and consideration before launch. It reveals what I believe to be the widest spectrum of choices for narrators seeking more work, and hoping to find a pay solution that works for them.
ACX’s limited incentive plan:
To celebrate the first hundred ACX audiobooks in production, we have a new special offer for you, THIS OFFER IS ONLY FOR PRODUCERS WHO ARE EITHER “AUDIBLE APPROVED” OR WERE PART OF OUR BETA-TESTING PROGRAM EARLIER THIS YEAR.
If you accept a Royalty Share offer on any ACX title by August 31st, it comes not only with the usual extra $100 per-finished-hour stipend (e.g. $1,000 for a 10-hour audiobook), but we’ve sweetened the pot by making your second Royalty Share deal earn a $200 per-finished-hour stipend (e.g. $2,000 for a 10-hour audiobook), and your third Royalty Share deal earn a $225 per-finished-hour stipend (e.g. $2,250 for a 10-hour audiobook). See Stipend Offer Terms and Conditions for complete details and requirements. The stipend is, of course, in addition to the Royalties and Bounties you earn on sales of the audiobook. Here’s how it’ll work, step by step:
- Choose any book being offered as a Royalty Share deal. We especially recommend titles from this list, which were hand-picked by Audible’s editors for their good sales potential
- Submit your best audition
- If you get a Royalty Share offer on one (or more) of these titles, accept the offer.
- Upon your completion and approval of the audiobook, submit an invoice to ACX for $100 or $200 or $225 X the number of finished hours
- We pay you that fee
- You also earn half of the 50 – 90% escalator royalty on each sale of the audiobook (i.e. 25% – 45% as outlined here)
- You also earn half of any $25 bounty generate by downloads of the audiobook, as outlined here
You can get this per-finished-hour stipend offer on up to three productions, so don’t be shy about auditioning. Good luck!
The ACX Team