Lately, I keep getting the question: “When do you sleep?” The answer is: usually between 3am and 10am. On the East Coast that would be from 6am to 1pm.
So the question really becomes an observation: “Dave, you seem to be working at all hours. You must not need much sleep.”
I guess I don’t. I’ve always had a joy of life, and since VO is my passion, I find I never run out of energy for its demands.
Here are some of the highlights of my day, Thursday, August 6, 2009:
1) 8am – CT scan, ‘cause recent kidneystones have my urologist doing follow-ups
2) 9:30am - an hour of checking e-mail, Twitter, and online forums
3)10:30 am – some important phone calls
4) 11am – back to bed for 1.5 hours
5) 12:30 – shower, shave, dress
6) 1pm – hour-long conference call with members of the SaVoa Advisory Board
7) 2:30 – arrive at TV station – begin YouTube update, write/proofread scripts, scan more
email, websites, Tweetdeck, and FaceBook, write e-mail, make phone calls
8] 4pm – begin anchoring 3 half-hour newscasts (4, 5, & 6) with half-hour breaks in-between)
9) 7pm – drive home for dinner with friends, cut and send two auditions
10) 9pm – drive back to TV station. More editing, web-browsing, proofreading scripts, twittering
11) 11pm – anchor last half-hour newscast of the day
12) 12:30am (Fri) – arrive home to begin more VO work
13) 1am – spend an hour on Skype, recording and finishing segments for a new demo
14) 2am – new demo in hand, I package it with other demos, a bio pic, and some forms to
send to a new casting service I’m involved with.
15) 3am – sit down to write a fresh Blog!
What to write about? In this case, a search of Google Alerts with the keyword “voiceover” leads me to a Bill Pryce Blog, which in turn refers me to a Dan O’Day.com site that further directs me to a Pat Fraley offer of: a “Quick & Slick VoiceOver Tricks” download.
I’m familiar with this program of Fraley’s and highly recommend it…Pat’s the best!
This is where the bouncing ball comes in. Normally, you’d just get the Pat Fraley referral, but because it’s 3:44am as I am as I’m writing this, and I’m a bit addle pated, you got the day-dissection along with it!
‘Goin’ to bed now…